Twitter is a great social media platform to connect with customers and to stay relevant within an industry. Using 140 characters or less, a tweet can engage customers and start conversations.
If your small business has yet to join twitter, here is a simple step-by-step guide on how to create a twitter account!
Go to twitter.com/signup. This will take you through a few steps to build your profile.
1. The first step is to provide your name (your businesses name preferably), an email and password for the account. This email and password will be what you use to login to Twitter.
2. Creating a username is the second step, and one of the most important. This is your twitter "handle", which is your identity on this social network. When customers mention you in a tweet, this is what they will use. It is key to keep this short and relevant. A suggestion is to use your business name again for this.
3. Next, in order to generate followers to build your network, you will be prompted to select interests from a list.
It is important to select topics here that are relevant to your business so that you are able to create a professional account that relates to your industry. By doing this, Twitter will then provide a list of suggested accounts to follow.
4. The next step is to add a photo so that your profile is easily identified. An image of your businesses logo, one that matches your Facebook account, is suggested so that customers know this is the correct profile for your business.
To upload a logo, click Upload photo to choose a saved image from your computer. This is not a permanent image, you have the ability to change it later.
5. To gain followers, you can connect an email account to Twitter. This will build your network with people you already know. Choose from either AOL, Gmail, Outlook or Yahoo, and log in to your email account. This will generate a list of contacts who have a twitter account for you to follow.
6. After completing all of these steps, Twitter will generate a list of accounts for you to follow. In order to have an active account, it is important to have as many people following your page as possible. This means that they will see your tweets so they will be involved and can interact with your business!
For more information on Twitter for businesses, follow this link here to find blog posts and best practices so you have an engaging, professional and active twitter page.